Sunday 15 November 2009

We accept you, one of us! Gooble gobble!


Hello,

I have been busy, busy watching lots of films lately and getting some stuff down for uni work. But I thought I best check in.
There has been some really good little films I'v seen over the past couple of weeks, some of them were a bit rubbish but y'know my saying is "you have to watch the bad ones to appreciate the good ones". I do plan to go to the cinema at the weekend, not sure what to see though hmm...

Most recently, well this morning I watched "Son of Rambow" just a little British comedy, something lighthearted that made me giggle in places.
Last night though! I got round to watching "Freaks" y'know, the one that was banned back in the day. Well, I watched it and it's still playing on my mind. I dont think it was offensive really, I understand why it would of been but I thought the storyline was really interesting and not something I ever could of imagined being written all them years ago. The chicken woman though, really scared me.

I have also watched "The Third Man", which I wont talk about because Im doing a review on so you shall see that another time. I watched "The Life Aquatic" with Bill Murray which was really interesting and had some really great music in from Seu Jorge. I also watched two biographical films, on the same day. "Veronica Guerin", with Cate Blanchett was really not as good as it could of been but what do you expect really from Joel Schumacher.

But the film I wanna talk about is "Control", the Ian Curtis story directed by photographer Anton Corbijn. I have been doing a lot of work on this film for uni, I think I've written about 3 pieces but they're not really that good. I got round to watching the film last week and the more I think about it now actually the more I like it.
I was majorly impressed by the director Corbijn, I thought there was some spectacular shots in the film that just were mind blowing. It was almost like the pictures we had seen from the 70s had been brought to life and the feel of the film being in black and white made it feel so much more real.
The actors in the film are great to watch, my favourite performance was Samantha Morton playing his wife Debbie she played her with the subtleness you would of expected her to be but also with the strong willingness it must of took for her to leave him.
The story however started it off really good, I was getting into the music, because I am a Joy Division fan so them parts were entertaining. But then towards the end it gets a bit boring, I dont really know why because thats probably when it should get interesting but I think it was this. Curtis was a man of great talents, few muscians can write like this man and he was in one of the biggest up coming bands of the 70s. He was married (sort of happily) and had a child, the only bad part about his life was his epilepsy. He starts an affair and it all seems to go belly up and then he kills himself. I just could'nt grasp that and the thing that I dont understand the most is that it actually happened, its not just a badly written film, it's a real persons life. Maybe he felt trapped and confused and maybe the film cut or added things to the story to make it seem better but even so, it's difficult to understand why he did it.

4 STARS!

No comments:

Post a Comment