Sunday 29 November 2009

A serious man 2009


Hey again!

I'm back with an update on all the films I've seen over the past, 2 weeks, I think. Yea so, again I've been watching loads but I only went to the cinema once :(. We went to the Cornerhouse in Manchester to see the new Cohen Brothers film "A Serious Man" which for some reason is only being shown in selected cinemas, which is why we went to see it there. Tell you more about that later though, I've done my "The Third Man" review but it's being marked so it'll be up if it's done good :).

Hmm where to start, things that stick out hmm. Well one of the funniest, in places films Iv seen has to be the south Korean film "The Host" (Gwoemul). It's a sort of "Godzilla", "Cloverfield" thing, but a lot better. This is only my second south Korean film that I've seen, the first one was "I am a cyborg" which is really good, check it out. It's basically about a mutant fish that grows in a river and causes havoc all around the city. The things I liked about this film were, the humor because you laugh at things in this film that you wouldnt even dare laugh at in American/westernised films. And also the story which is just amazing, completely entertaining from start to finish and fills you with a million different feelings all the way through.

In quicker news, I've also watched "Closer", the Julia Roberts, Jude Law, Natalie Portman and Clive Owen film that is extremely personal and sometimes makes you think "should I be watching this" great acting though. "Run Lola Run" which for some reason I always thought was American but it's not, it's German and very good. Quick pased and never boring. And probably a few more films which I cant remember so they obviously wasnt that good.

I am a big Cohen Brothers fan, Fargo and Barton Fink, oh and No country for old men will all be on my favourite films of all time list. But sadly, this film wont be.
Larry Gopnick's (played by Michael Stuhlbarg)life is'nt going so well, his wife, Judith has decided she has had enough and wants a divorce so she can get together with patronising Sy Ableman (played by Fred Melamed). His brother is living on his couch and his neighbour is planning to build a shed that he doesnt agree with. But with his son's aproaching bar mitzvah he must carry on as normal for the sake of his family and his sanity.
So it's a film about a Jewish family living in Midwest America, just your usual Cohen Brother type stuff. Everyday, normal people going through a normal life disruption with relatively funny moments seems like the basis of a good film but why does the most interesting part happen in the last scene of the film?. At the end I felt cheated and a little annoyed, I watched this 2 hour film, which was really rather boring in places to be left unfulfilled and wishing I had'nt bothered.
Yea ok, the Jewish family aspect was interesting and funny at times but it just was'nt enough to keep it going. I didnt connect with Larry, I thought he was annoying and I was glad his wife wanted to leave him. I have often heard the Cohen Brother's argument that there films are pointless and lead nowhere but I have always disagreed. I have stood up for them, time after time even with "Burn after reading" but I can't with this film. It just did'nt do it for me, honestly boys, the next one has to be better.
2 (out of 5) STARS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment